2017 Major Championship Predictions

Time for the 4th annual ‘Josh Embarrasses Himself By Trying to Predict Major Winners for the Season’ post. With Masters Week a couple weeks away, I am getting fired up for major championship season and I know you are too.

I proudly predicted 0 out of 4 winners in last year’s predictions, so I am obviously due for a big year this year.

The Masters

Winner: Jordan Spieth

Part of me wanted to pick Rory, but I just can’t see his putting holding up well enough over four straight days on Augusta’s greens. Spieth is still the best pressure putter in the world and has already proven he can fill it up there. After the unspeakable events that unfolded Sunday on the 12th hole last year, Spieth is going to be hell-bent on showing us that is behind him. DJ is going to be there too, but it’ll come down to a few of those ticklish Augusta National pressure putts on Sunday.

The U.S. Open

Winner: Dustin Johnson

Nobody has defended the U.S. Open successfully since Curtis Strange in 1989, but DJ is going to change that this year. When facing a relatively unknown 7800 yard layout in Erin Hills, it’s hard to think of a guy I’d rather have on my roster. When he mashes bombs and starts to make a few putts, not even the USGA can stop him.

The Open Championship

Winner: Sergio Garcia

I still believe Sergio is going to tally a major before his career is over, and I think The Open is his best bet. Sergio’s life seems to be in a good place these days and his ball striking is almost always on point. If he stays out of his own way on the greens for four days, or even three, he’s your guy at Royal Birkdale.

The PGA Championship

Winner: Rory McIlroy

With the PGA Championship headed to Quail Hollow, Rory is an obvious pick, but for good reason. It’s a golf course he has dominated before, and Rory is just too good to go any longer than this without another major. He’ll have his major swagger back this August.

—–

Feel free to leave us a comment with your own predictions – you probably can’t do worse than me!

12 comments for “2017 Major Championship Predictions

1. March 19, 2017 at 7:13 pm

What, no Danny Willett repeat??? Boy that came out of nowhere last year, didn’t it? Like your picks for each. Mine are coming soon!

Thanks,

• March 19, 2017 at 7:40 pm

It’s hard to be disappointed in The Masters but if Danny Willett repeats I will not be a happy camper! I don’t think he has a chance. Neither does Bubba thankfully. Looking forward to your picks.

• March 19, 2017 at 7:43 pm

Josh, Willett has been on a one and done tour for the last year. Game just fell off the planet after the victory. Just when you think he has no chance. . .Just sayin!

2. Beth
    March 20, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Masters – Justin Thomas
    US open – DJ
    Open -Rahm
    PGA – Hadwin

• March 20, 2017 at 10:02 pm

Nice! I especially like that Rahm pick…oh and the Canadian is ok too. I’ll probably still own you though 😉

3. March 22, 2017 at 1:20 am

Can’t see why those predictions might not come true. I especially hope you are right about Sergio. But I too suspect Jon Rahm might be in line to bag a major early in his career. Cheers, Rob.

• March 22, 2017 at 1:38 pm

Hey Rob,

I think I’d be more surprised if Jon Rahm didn’t have a major within the next few years than I would be if he won one this year. Stoked for The Masters!

4. March 23, 2017 at 7:53 pm

I’ll give my choices but I expect to lose. Every time I try and prognosticate on who at what course I end up far from right. But here goes:
    M – Hideki Matsuyama
    US – Rory McIlroy
    OC – Ricky Fowler
    PGA – Jason Day

There you go.

• March 23, 2017 at 10:18 pm

Hey Linley,

Thanks for chiming in buddy, looks like solid picks, as good of a chance of being right as anyone else! Can’t do worse than me the past few years 😂

• March 24, 2017 at 9:12 pm

It’s strange. Hideki has cooled off but I am hoping he can make me look smart. But it’s fun throwing out picks.

5. Matt
    April 1, 2017 at 1:20 pm

I’m getting my picks in under the wire here, but I’m getting them in. I’m also doing something that feels a little like cheating. Kind of like betting $1 on the price-is-right.

Masters – Dustin Johnson
    US Open – Dustin Johnson
    The Open – Dustin Johnson
    PGA – Dustin Johnson

I feel like I’ll be right at least for one of these, but not since Tiger has there been someone playing the type of golf where him winning all four felt like it was possible.

• April 2, 2017 at 11:26 am

Hey Matt,

Does it feel like cheating because you totally copied my US Open pick? At least you’ll be right once 😉