2016 Major Championship Predictions

A fun tradition on the Golf is Mental blog is to prematurely predict the major champions for the entire season. With The Masters a little over a month away, I know you’re all thinking about it, so maybe this will help kill some time before that magical week in April kicks off the meat of the 2016 season.

I predicted 1 out of 4 winners correct on last year’s predictions, and am looking to improve on that this year. Not to rub it in (actually, mostly to rub it in), but nobody correctly predicted a winner in the comments section last year. Can anybody top me this year?

The Masters

Winner: Rickie Fowler

Yeah, it was tough to pass on Jordan Spieth, who has never shot worse than 72 at Augusta National in eight competitive rounds. It’s just so hard to defend a major, even for the best players of all time. And Rory? Well, I think Augusta National is still in his head.

Rickie has shown good form this year, and will peak on the big stage at The Masters to get his first major. Although he hasn’t seriously contended at Augusta, he hasn’t hated it, either. He has made the cut in all five appearances with a T5 finish in 2014.

The U.S. Open

Winner: Adam Scott

The U.S. Open heads to Oakmont which will be a brutally difficult test of golf. Do you know who already won on a brutally difficult golf course this season? Adam Scott. I don’t expect any surprises or first time major winners on this golf course. Only a player with proven major champion pedigree will have the patience and the stomach to survive Oakmont under U.S. Open conditions. If Adam Scott keeps doing what he’s doing, he’ll find himself with a second major once U.S. Open week is all over.

The Open Championship

Winner: Louis Oosthuizen

Louis is too good to be held to one major in his career. He seems to be in his comfort zone on links golf courses, so another Claret Jug is well within his grasp. He lost in a playoff at last year’s Open, but won’t let this one slip through his fingers. An early season win overseas will make for a confident man heading into major championship season.

The PGA Championship

Winner: Rory McIlroy

The PGA heads back to Baltusrol, which made the nostalgic part of me want to pick Phil Mickelson, who won the PGA Championship there in 2005. However, there’s no doubt this course will suit Rory McIlroy, and he’ll be as motivated as ever to finish strong after a sluggish season by his standards. The unique Baltusrol layout, which features back-to-back par 5’s to finish the round, will have guys like Rory licking their chops.

—–

Think you have what it takes to predict this year’s major champions? Let’s see what you’re made of, and leave us a comment!

28 comments for “2016 Major Championship Predictions

1. March 2, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Nice! We have a couple of the same players, but nothing matching! This is going to be fun!

2. Beth
    March 2, 2016 at 7:04 pm

Masters – Danny Lee
    US Open- Ricky Fowler
    The Open- Matt Kucher
    PGA – Jason Day

• March 3, 2016 at 8:49 am

Nice picks, Beth…it would be cool to see your boy Danny in a green jacket!

3. Janet
    March 2, 2016 at 7:35 pm

Masters-Bubba
    Open- Rickie
    US Open-Adam Scott
    PGA-Day

• March 3, 2016 at 8:50 am

Hi Janet,

Solid picks! Although, I sure hope you’re wrong about Bubba 😉 He’s definitely one of the favorites. Thanks for taking a stab at it!

4. March 2, 2016 at 8:02 pm

Josh, I will hold my fire until after the Florida swing. I do like that Lou O. pick at The Open though

Thanks,

• March 3, 2016 at 8:51 am

No worries, Brian…we all get trigger shy sometimes 😉

5. Craig
    March 2, 2016 at 10:15 pm

Masters- McIlroy
    U.S. open- Dustin Johnson
    Open- Spieth
    PGA- Danny Willett (had to pick one sleeper)

• March 3, 2016 at 8:52 am

Craig,

Smooth picks, and I like the sleeper at the PGA! Willett has shown he can contend on the big stage. Thanks for weighing in!

6. March 3, 2016 at 6:25 am

You will just have to wait for my previews of each major 😉

• March 3, 2016 at 9:02 am

I look forward to those, Jimmy. Care to humor me with some premature stabs at it?

7. March 3, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Alright – Here we go!!

Masters – McIlroy
    US Open – Fowler
    British – Garcia
    PGA – Poulter

That makes three first time winners, and players I all like so it’s a heart list…not as much a head list.

Let’s see how we fare, Mike

• March 3, 2016 at 4:32 pm

Mike,

It’s always fun to be able to legitimately root for your picks. Good luck and thanks for weighing in with your selections!

8. Fred Teno
    March 3, 2016 at 5:18 pm

I like your picks but Jason Day will win The Masters.

9. March 5, 2016 at 6:48 am

Here goes
    Master – Schwartzel
    US – Day
    Open – oouistheizen
    PGA – Watson

• March 5, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Interesting picks, Linley! Good luck my friend, thanks for weighing in!

10. March 5, 2016 at 5:08 pm

I wanted to pick Rory for something but I wast sure what his best to win.

11. John Pye
    March 7, 2016 at 12:44 am

Masters. Jimmy Walker.
    US Open. Justin Rose.
    The Open. Ian Poulter.
    US PGA. Ryan Moore.

12. March 7, 2016 at 2:08 pm

I had to think a lot on this one, and all I’ve concluded is that I have no idea who is going to win. That being said, here’s my best guesses.

Masters – Rory. He’s played really well these last few weeks,but hasn’t got the putting and ball striking to all come together in one round. He’ll make that happen at the Masters this year. Honorable mentions to Bubba, Spieth and Day who will keep it interesting.

US Open – Mickelson. That’s right, I’m going all heart on this one. It would be epic to see him lock up the career grand slam this year, in what could very well be his last year with a real chance of doing it. He’s super motivated to make the Ryder cup and the Olympic team which I think has somehow taken the pressure off of him to win this tournament.

The Open – Adam Scott. Marking the third straight year I will have picked Adam Scott to win The Open. I said I’d keep picking him until he won, and dammit this year he has a real chance at doing it.

PGA Championship – Fowler. He’ll finally lock up his first, of what will likely be many, major championships.

• March 7, 2016 at 9:32 pm

Matt – This would be one heck of a year if you were right! Wouldn’t be disappointed with any of those results…and you’re destined to be right about Scott one of these Opens!