2015 PGA Championship Picks – “Glory’s Last Shot”

It’s hard to believe we’re already at the final major of the year, where Whistling Straights hosts the PGA Championship for the third time since 2004. The golf course is visually intimidating, and will test the patience and focus of the best players in the world. It’s their last shot at major glory in 2015, and as fans, it’s our last major shot at pretending we have the knowledge to predict the future.

In my early season major predictions, I have been 1 for 3 in predicting winners so far, being one of the only people to foresee a Spieth victory at The Masters (sarcasm). For the PGA Championship, I had selected Dustin Johnson to get redemption after his heartbreak at the same course in 2010. His form as of late has me concerned, and he has thus dropped in my rankings for this week. However, since I am a man who sticks to his guns, I will keep him in my stable of top 5 contenders:.

5. Dustin Johnson

After rapidly fading out of contention at The Open and a poor performance at the WGC Bridgestone, he has lost a bit of my confidence. However, he obviously has the skill to turn it around and make another run at his first major title, if he can dig deep enough to get over that hurdle.

4. Rickie Fowler

Rickie is no doubt trending towards a major victory with his clutch victories at the Players and Scottish Open this year, and has shown he can get himself into contention on the biggest stages. Wisconsin is the “cheese state”, and Rickie wears orange on Sundays, which reminds me of cheese. Will that give him an edge? Stay tuned.

3. Justin Rose

Rose has one of the most consistent swings on tour and if anyone can plod along quietly hitting fairways and greens on his way to another major trophy, it’ll be JR.

2. Jordan Spieth

I don’t think many people will be betting against this kid, but predicting him to win seems, well, predictable. It almost seems like a formality that he will be in contention on Sunday, whether he can hold off a slew of charging steeds yet again is the only question.

2015 PGA Champion: Jason Day

He’s had some gutsy performances this year, including battling vertigo at the US Open while in contention. He clearly has the game to take down a major, and he’s easy to pull for. I like being able to pull for my picks. He will be a very popular champion amongst the fans.

Side bet: Will Tiger Woods make the cut?

I’m hopelessly optimistic that he will, but not by much.

Who are your picks to contend at the PGA Championship?

14 comments for “2015 PGA Championship Picks – “Glory’s Last Shot”

1. August 12, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Josh, good picks here. I’m going with Spieth to win, then, Bubba, and Fowler. Think Rory makes the cut as he tries to bang the rust off?

Thanks,

• August 12, 2015 at 8:20 pm

I would never bet against Spieth right now. I think Rory will have a decent showing, but might prove a little competitively rusty to hoist the trophy. Can’t wait to watch it unfold!

2. August 12, 2015 at 5:32 pm

Good group there! There are so many players who can actually win, but who is the tough call. I am still going with Fowler. I do have a dark horse of Mickelson. It is a tough call about Tiger, but I am rooting that he plays well.

• August 12, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Jim,

It’s certainly tough to narrow it down, a lot of contenders. I’d be happy with a Fowler win, I like his chances. You can never count out Phil when he gets major fever. And Tiger, well, we’ll see! We’re so close to getting it started!

3. Beth
    August 12, 2015 at 6:31 pm

I think Spieth will take it. Rusty Rory doesn’t have a chance 😉

• August 12, 2015 at 8:24 pm

I wouldn’t be so quick to count out a rusty Rory! But I do like Spieth’s chances….big stakes on the line 🙂

4. August 12, 2015 at 6:38 pm

All good picks. But my top 3 are Louis Oouisthezen, Justin Rose and Rickie Fowler. Woods and McIlroy will make the cut easily.

• August 12, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Linley,

Great picks my friend, I’d be surprised if those 3 didn’t contend. I sure hope Rory and Tiger are around for the weekend!

• August 12, 2015 at 8:29 pm

I think straight driving is really important. And to be honest I’m not convinced that Jordan is good enough. He is by far the best putter in the game and I think putting is a fragile component. I’m probably in the minority.

• August 12, 2015 at 9:39 pm

Yeah, Jordan doesn’t have freakish talent and power like Rory, or like Tiger had, but he has that X-factor that makes it tough to ever count him out.

• August 12, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Amen. He is a different type of superstar.

5. August 12, 2015 at 7:23 pm

So hard to decide. All great picks, but I like Jordan. Being a Texas girl, I have to vote for a home boy.
    Here’s to a great tournament.

• August 12, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Tina,

I definitely wouldn’t bed against Jordan. Great kid, I’d be more than happy to see him hoist another major trophy. Should be a good one!

• August 12, 2015 at 9:29 pm

Oh yeah. I am not going to bet against JS. He has proven me wrong all year long. I’ve seen him make putt after putt.