2015 Major Championship Predictions

It’s getting to that exciting time of year when we writers pretend we know what we are talking about and try predict the future. That’s right, major championship season is almost upon us!

With The Masters only 3 weeks away, I figured this would be a good time to humiliate myself again with some moderately premature predictions for the majors this year. I have nothing to lose after going 0 for 4 in 2014, so it can only get better from here.

The Masters

Winner: Jordan Spieth

The kid seems poised and determined for a big year. His short game display at the Valspar showed us he can get it done even when he isn’t hitting it great. It won’t be Rory’s year to complete the career grand slam. Augusta National is still in his head, so he’ll need to wait at least another year.

U.S. Open

Winner: Rory McIlroy

For the second time in his career, Rory will follow up Masters disappointment with a win at the U.S. Open. Nobody will have any local knowledge out at Chambers Bay, which plays into the hands of a player like Rory.

British Open

Winner: Sergio Garcia

Many will think this sounds crazy, but a win at the home of golf for Sergio will change the landscape of his bittersweet career. If he’s ever going to win a major, this is the one. He’s shown on several occasions he can play links golf well and get into contention, but this is the year he gets over the mental hurdle to clinch the win.

PGA Championship

Winner: Dustin Johnson

What a story it will be when DJ gets sweet redemption at Whistling Straights after an innocent penalty in a “bunker” cost him his chance at the championship back in 2010.

There you have it, I just spoiled all of the majors for 2015 with my very accurate and scientific predictions.

What are your major predictions for 2015?

19 comments for “2015 Major Championship Predictions

1. March 19, 2015 at 3:43 am

Great choices, here is who I picked:

•The Masters – Rory McIlroy
    •The US Open – Phil Mickelson
    •The Open – Graeme McDowell
    •The PGA Championship – Rickie Fowler

Read why: http://www.punditarena.com/golf/ggolfer/predictions-2015-major-golf-championships/

Let me know what you think.

• March 19, 2015 at 8:36 am

Jim,

Great picks and logic that is tough to argue with! Hopefully your momentum from last seasons predictions carries through…we’ll have to monitor who has bragging rights!

P.S. – One more, do you think Tiger will “play” in The Masters? Remember when the question used to be him versus the field….

2. March 19, 2015 at 6:04 am

Good picks Josh! I do my picks as we get closer to the tournaments. Masters prognostication coming soon!

Thanks,

• March 19, 2015 at 8:37 am

Thanks Brian, look forward to seeing your predictions! Are you holding out to see if Tiger is going to play? 😉

• March 19, 2015 at 9:41 am

No, not holding out on Tiger. Don’t think it will matter if he plays or not because his game is not in shape to contend. It used to be Tiger against the field in a major, but those days have past us by.

Thanks,

• March 19, 2015 at 9:45 am

Sadly you are correct. If he plays it will certainly be intriguing, but I just can’t see him contending, or even making the cut, under these circumstances.

3. March 22, 2015 at 3:21 pm

Here’s my predictions. I think I was batting 0 for 4 last year lol.

Masters: Bubba

I don’t WANT to pick Bubba, but he’s playing good golf and Augusta is a course that favours long lefties. I think with the recent death of a friend he’ll have added motivation to put away back-to-back wins. If we’re picking who we want to win then I’m going with Rory.

US Open: Rory

A new venue won’t favour any one golfer so who better to pick than the guy with the best all around game? Honourable mentions to Stenson, and Kaymer.

British Open: Adam Scott

I don’t have any reason to pick him other than gut. Honorable mention to Louis Oosthuzien.

PGA Championship: Dustin Johnson

I’m with you on this one. I think it’d be a great story, but beyond that he has the game, and obviously has the game to play well at this course. Honourable mention to the young guns Rickie, Spieth, Reed.

• March 22, 2015 at 3:26 pm

Lol I just read my predictions from last year where I said “I’ll just keep picking Adam Scott to win (a British Open) until he does.” Apparently my subconscious remembered that.

• March 22, 2015 at 6:17 pm

It’s hard to argue with that logic. Lol. Seems like he has to break through at The Open sometime.

• March 22, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Great picks, Matt! It’s hard to count Bubba out at The Masters, but I often find it difficult to commit to picking him over everyone else.

4. Parv
    March 24, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Here’s my picks :

Masters : jason day

U.s. Open: Rickie Fowler

Open: Sergio Garcia

Uspga ; Dustin Johnson

Let me know what you think

• March 24, 2015 at 5:59 pm

Parv,

Great picks! Day and Fowler crossed my mind as well, would love to see either one of them get a major. Thanks for weighing in!

5. March 25, 2015 at 3:19 pm

My picks are as follows: –

The Masters – Henrik Stenson

Coming in to form at the right time, despite not winning at Bay Hill. I love watching this guy play, and I think he has the perfect game for Augusta. While I don’t necessarily think he’ll have the 54 hole lead, I can see him making a run on Sunday and claiming his first green jacket,

The US Open – Patrick Reed

I’ll be honest I don’t know much about the course, but that’s the exciting part. As for the winner, well I suppose it’s pot luck and you could make a case for about 10/12 potential winners. But I really can see Reed winning a major this year. He’s a great ball striker, who cares about his ‘attitude’ – I actually like it and think he comes across well in interviews. A win here would surely silence his doubters once and for all.

The Open – Rory McIlroy

His record at St Andrews is awesome. Though I don’t think he’ll do the grand slam this year a win here at the home of club would still make this a memorable year and prove that he’s still the man.

USPGA – Dustin Johnson

I can see DJ coming full circle here. Not just from 2010 but I think it will be around one year on from his hiatus? For me it’s a case of when not if he’s going to win a major and everyone knows he’s got the game for it. What a comeback story this would be.

I’ll be honest, I don’t mind who wins the majors this year as long as I remember to put money on them 🙂

• March 25, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Great picks!! It is shaping up to be a very intriguing major championship season. We will have to keep track of who has bragging rights at the end of the year!

6. March 25, 2015 at 9:44 pm

What the heck- I actually like all your predictions except for the last one so ill go out on a limb and go with that guy who wears Texas orange all the time – Fowler feels like a sleeper whose time is due.

• March 26, 2015 at 9:39 am

SVG

To be honest, it was very difficult to leave Fowler off my of predictions list. I just ran out of majors. I would be very happy if you were right on this one.

Thanks for weighing in!