What Does the Off-Season Mean to You?

As a blanket of snow fell on Alberta this weekend, it forced me to come to terms with the fact that the off-season is officially upon us.

snow-golf

Depending where you live, obviously, the length of your off-season can be highly variable. Whether your off-season is dictated by weather, self imposed, or driven by other factors (such as a tournament schedule), I think it is important to have one, even if it is just a couple of weeks.

For the average or casual golfer, the off-season might be a time to throw the clubs in the basement, take up some winter hobbies and forget about their game until Spring. They’ll come back feeling rusty (mentally and physically) and out of shape, but as long as their expectations are in line with their efforts and they’re having fun, there’s nothing wrong with that.

For the avid golfer with goals and aspirations, such as myself, the off-season is a fantastic opportunity.

It’s a great opportunity to hit the reset button.
To assess your goals and set new ones.
To work on your mental game.
To get your body into better shape, or maybe nurse a nagging injury back to health.
To work on your swing without worrying about a score or where the ball is going.

Lucky for us, our off-season isn’t going to be as long this year thanks to our three month Road Trip! However, there is still a solid month and a half to go before we start heading down to warm weather. I’m going to do my best to take full advantage of this time.

First, I’m going to leave the clubs alone for a few weeks and hit the reset button.
I’m going to work on my strength and fitness through kettlebell workouts.
I’m going to work on my flexibility and overall physical well-being through stretching, rolling, massage therapy and Chiropractic.
I’m going to work on my mental game through positive visualization, and writing affirmations to read daily.
Finally, I’m going to start hitting balls again and working on my swing.

The off-season doesn’t have to be a setback to your game. It provides a great opportunity to work on things that may be difficult to keep up with during a busy season. I’m choosing to embrace the off-season and utilize it to improve my game in the long run.

What does the off-season mean to you?

12 comments for “What Does the Off-Season Mean to You?

1. November 3, 2014 at 4:12 am

I agree. The off season is a time to prepare for the next year on the links! Have a great trip and remember to be grateful…..for everything!

• November 3, 2014 at 10:05 am

Thanks Jim, I will definitely stay grateful! Appreciate the comment

2. November 3, 2014 at 9:56 am

Josh, love your balanced approach. The mental and physical reset is certainly necessary. Best of luck on your trip!

• November 3, 2014 at 10:05 am

Thank you Brian! Appreciate it.

3. November 5, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Great post Josh. Ah, the off season. Season ended here in Ontario on Oct 31 from a handicapping standpoint. I’m toying with an active off season – lessons, workouts and reading. But will take at least two weeks off to recharge. Playing me best golf ever and I want to keep moving in a a good direction. Hope it’s a good off season for you too!

Mike
    @36aday

• November 5, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Mike,

A nice little break followed by an active off season sounds like a great plan! May as well keep the momentum going! Best of luck and keep us posted

4. November 6, 2014 at 12:11 pm

The picture just tickled me, imagining them all buying fluorescent orange balls so they could keep on playing in the snow. Thanks for posting.

• November 6, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Thanks Lucy, I’m glad you enjoy it!! Golfers will do crazy things!

All the best

5. December 1, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Josh, I have spent the past few years writing about how to completely get rid of the off-season while living in Chicago. I think you are right to have a fresh mental approach to the off-season and really take it as an opportunity to level set and come back to the clubs with enthusiasm. I think some of the biggest gains you can make for your game are during these periods of time. Like you mentioned, you can take a real good look at your physical limitations as well as your mental approach. Nice write up.

6. Ash
    May 11, 2015 at 4:58 am

Thanks Josh,found this very informative ,i will check back for more posts

• May 12, 2015 at 10:36 pm

Ash,

I’m glad you liked it! Look forward to having you back for future posts.